Elitism, what a shame

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB--sorry to say a posting like this shows very little class on your behalf. Why personally attack someone you don't even know? Can't believe it would make you feel good or superior in some way-but, "Hey you never know" (as they say in the NYS lottery)

Johne, you don't live here, you are only a tourist and believe me, I have seen many tourists like you too.
I may not know you but let me tell you. You sound like the guy who talks only about real estate and money. thats all.
I think I have a friend for you in sosua.
By the way, I hear he is leaving, maybe you can fill his spot.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
AZB

As far as being suprised about opinions discussed that night, believe me, you were'nt the only one!

As far as what Dominicans tell me how I speak, I am not always hamming it up and drinking with everybody I meet, so you shouldn't assume that I get the same results everywhere I go. The fact is you have only seen me interact with some Dominicans during a couple of informal social events.

Also, apparently you don't get around and "know" as much as you thought about Dominicans - this based on the fact that I play golf with mostly very affluent doctors, businessmen, engineers, business owners who are more than likely the "bosses" of most of you're so called affluential Domincian friends - sorry. Also, believe me when I tell you, these guys Spanish isn't as refined as you somehow are led to believe. Therefore, you might want to brush up on your fisnura, un poco. :)

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
having a bad hair day?

Johne, you don't live here, you are only a tourist and believe me, I have seen many tourists like you too.
I may not know you but let me tell you. You sound like the guy who talks only about real estate and money. thats all.
I think I have a friend for you in sosua.
By the way, I hear he is leaving, maybe you can fill his spot.
AZB

Spoken like a fustrated back surgeon that didn't quite make it.
Have no thought of turning this into a pi**ing match. But my sentiments remain the same as I posted with the addition of crass, uncouth, and major blowhart.

Have a great day-I am getting ready to visit your part of the woods, as "only a tourist" and don't have time to waste on this dribble such as your comments about "your friend". Remember when you hung with him? "Bring me a projector please". What happen didn't your elite friends have one to spare?

Your friend,
john

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Spoken like a fustrated back surgeon that didn't quite make it.
Have no thought of turning this into a pi**ing match. But my sentiments remain the same as I posted with the addition of crass, uncouth, and major blowhart.
john

Seems like I touched a pinched nerve. hahahaha, see how much I know about you, without even meeting you?
hahahahaa, people are not so hard to figure out anymore.
AZB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Chip,

Let your daughter grow up a little more on her own. Sitting with her at lunch may be nice for you, but probably a downer in the eyes of her school mates. She will have more time to bond with the other children. You can still teach her good values at home.

AZB,

If you don't like the Dominican women, try doing without them for a while.

I do take offense at YOUR REMARKS because my wife is from the barrios, but she treats me better than any American woman has ever treated me(My mom excluded of course). And I have been coming here for 16 years, and my Spanish sucks, so in your eyes I must be trash. According to your prejudice remarks, not only about ex-pats that have not learned Spanish, but also about Dominican women. Going by your posts, you would be the last person I would let my wife be treated by.

Your insults to Chip were uncalled for.
Do we not fit your social class anymore?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Let's not let a lowly piece of shnot, detract from the issues in this thread.
We all know that AZB is not diplomatic about what he says, but he is still very popular on DR1, because most of his messages ring true.
At least he has the balls to say what he means and mean what he says.

Chip has a serious issue on his hands, and many of the replies here, will surely prove to be useful and eye opening.
It certainly would be a shame to see this thread take that "oh so common" route, of turning into a battle amongst members about other issues, then getting closed.
Chip deserves more respect than that.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Azb

Chip,

Let your daughter grow up a little more on her own. Sitting with her at lunch may be nice for you, but probably a downer in the eyes of her school mates. She will have more time to bond with the other children. You can still teach her good values at home.

AZB,

If you don't like the Dominican women, try doing without them for a while.

I do take offense at YOUR REMARKS because my wife is from the barrios, but she treats me better than any American woman has ever treated me(My mom excluded of course). And I have been coming here for 16 years, and my Spanish sucks, so in your eyes I must be trash. According to your prejudice remarks, not only about ex-pats that have not learned Spanish, but also about Dominican women. Going by your posts, you would be the last person I would let my wife be treated by.

Your insults to Chip were uncalled for.
Do we not fit your social class anymore?

AZB is in with the high posters and people with power here within DR1. However, just search his posts and one will find just how negative and rude he is consistently. It's his way or the highway. A Santiago living know it all, with few friends. You can't be a good person if you come from a barrio, just ask him!
The only positive thing I have seen, was when AZB posted some pics about a month ago. Other than that, it's all negativity.
Too bad
Steve

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Let's not let a lowly piece of shnot, detract from the issues in this thread..
It just occured to me that the above sentence might be interpreted as being in reference to AZB.
It's just my favorite nickname for the person that he & John were talking about.(aka shotman, snotman, etc)
Please excuse me if I caused any confusion.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Lighten up Aftab, just having some fun - don't be so thick skinned.
Shouldn't that be 'DARK' skinned Chip? :cheeky:

I thought this thread was about elitist characteristics in schools? We seemed to have got off the main track somewhat into a 'Let's knock Chip to show how superior we are' whilst really just showing the ............ ah well, fill your own ending to the statement!

This is an interesting & useful thread IF we can keep it to the subject & try NOT to prove our own (misplaced) elitism. My Spanish sucks I know but I get by with my decent Dominican friends (everyone of them a choppo that lives in a barrio called Bayardo!!:ermm: ;)). My experience shows me they have the right to be elitist ...... but they are NOT. THEY tell me I speak Spanish 'OK' but I have enough confidence in myself to know they are telling wee porkies just to help me feel comfortable in their presence - it's a pity that a certain 'gentleman' in Santiago that gets told he is a friendly, warm & responsive person - can't see the same format of 'Just Words'!:ermm:;)!

Hope YOU are learning something from this Chip & that the matter will resolve itself to YOUR satisfaction. ~ Grahame.

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I'm no friend of AZB, but he is most certainly accurate in this thread. And most of the posters have no clue.

What Chip is doing by riding a motorbike to school is like walking around with a mohawk in the USA. He can do it, as a result, some people will not want to associate with him, and others will over time. He has to choose if its the right approach for him.

User-Ich_with_Mohawk.jpg

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's funny, the Dominicans in the office and most of the ones I know that read DR1 think AZB is pretty much spot on with his commentary and often comment on how well he "gets it". Then again, what would they know, being Dominicans that live and work here? ;)

Welcome to the DR, adapt or die!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Laughing so hard

It just occured to me that the above sentence might be interpreted as being in reference to AZB.
It's just my favorite nickname for the person that he & John were talking about.(aka shotman, snotman, etc)
Please excuse me if I caused any confusion.

Marco--if you see Steve's join date (after the snot, snotman, etc era I could understand both his posting and yours. ) I of course, am getting older by the day and understood it completely from the standpoint of a --you remember when?
john

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Marco--if you see Steve's join date (after the snot, snotman, etc era I could understand both his posting and yours. ) I of course, am getting older by the day and understood it completely from the standpoint of a --you remember when?
john

I think you just coined the phrase AS = Anno Snotis.
(The time period after December 2005)

tambo'

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, lets make peace. Chip knows I am not here to insult him. I do not have any bad intentions towards hurting him. I am also looking after the best interest of his daughter. I would like her to feel more comfortable among her class mates and feel more equal. Kids don't want to think like adults, they want what they want and they want it now. They will begin to see things clearly when they reach chip's age.
I sincerely want him to accommodate his daughter to her immediate satisfaction. When she feels equal with the rest, then and only then she will have any self confidence within herself. There is no need for her to be worrying about who will laugh at her tomorrow.
lets give the girl a break and let her be proud of her daddy when seen by other kids and their dads in nice cars.
So chip. lets do it for the kid.
AZB

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I think you just coined the phrase AS = Anno Snotis.
(The time period after December 2005)

tambo'

This gets better by the minute and I'm sure we're helping Chip a lot.
(yeah right!)

P.S. AS would have been better yet with another "S" on the end.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's funny, the Dominicans in the office and most of the ones I know that read DR1 think AZB is pretty much spot on with his commentary and often comment on how well he "gets it". Then again, what would they know, being Dominicans that live and work here? ;)

Welcome to the DR, adapt or die!
Bolding mine. What about the ones who don't? What do they think?
The Dominicans friends/associates that you and I have in common in no way share these attitudes, and you know it. :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hope YOU are learning something from this Chip & that the matter will resolve itself to YOUR satisfaction. ~ Grahame.

I am learning and have realized that this really is just the beginning of challenges of "introducing" my daughter to the real world - and that there will be challenges wherever we go.

Therefore, I will keep my daughter in the school, as I now realize that, in spite of certain elitist attitudes of some of the students, we owe it to her to give her the best bilingual education we can afford.

I plan on positvely reinforcing the fact that people shouldn't judge other people by the color of their skin or their economic situation. As far a some references that I am being too philosophical, well for me that couldn't be father from the truth. I am a principled person, and believe in putting one's principles into action. And too, given my religious beliefs, I think many who have such deep rooted pride with regard to their fellow man might be surprised to be getting a "No Go" card at sometime in the future. With that in mind, I owe it to try to put my daughter on the right path - whether or not she decides to accept these beliefs as her own when she is an adult is another thing altogether, but I am hopeful. In the case of my upbringing, my father was a verbally abusive alcoholic, yet the little(or a lot for him) that he invested on teaching me right from wrong very much influenced me. He was many times cold and very critical whereas I am mostly positive and affectionate with all of my daughters, so maybe I will be at least as fortunate as my father to be able to pass on their beliefs to their children.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.