New Liquor Curfew Ordinance

bentwire

Jan 30, 2006
yes your most likely correct Beads,, i was tring to use what i learned in school,, they told me someday i would find a place to use it

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Lambada said:
Whereas in SD looks like they're not excluded according to this http://elnacional.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=59792. Geographical differences?
Clearly, restaurants are not excluded.
Thanks for the link.
As usual, the cops are interpreting the law, the way it suits them.

(FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT READ SPANISH)
The article talks about the cops going around in Santo Domingo, closing establishments that were still open after midnight, even if they were NOT selling alcohol, under the pretext that it was illegal for an establishment that sells alcohol at other times of the day, to remain open after midnight.

That's exactly the type of thing I was refering to, when I said that we will need a couple of weeks or more, before really knowing where all of this is going.
To further confuse things, a cop friend, who I have known for 14 years and has always been straight with me, told me lastnight that he was convinced this law is only temporary, refering to it as, "provisional".

SNAFUed in the DR.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rocky said:
Clearly, restaurants are not excluded.
Thanks for the link.
As usual, the cops are interpreting the law, the way it suits them.

(FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT READ SPANISH)
The article talks about the cops going around in Santo Domingo, closing establishments that were still open after midnight, even if they were NOT selling alcohol, under the pretext that it was illegal for an establishment that sells alcohol at other times of the day, to remain open after midnight.

That's exactly the type of thing I was refering to, when I said that we will need a couple of weeks or more, before really knowing where all of this is going.
To further confuse things, a cop friend, who I have known for 14 years and has always been straight with me, told me lastnight that he was convinced this law is only temporary, refering to it as, "provisional".

SNAFUed in the DR.

The Secretary of Interior and Police, Franklin Almeyda, stated this morning during a televised interview, at the prompting of a journalist, that it was absurd to believe that a restaurant or similar establishment would stop selling alcoholic beverages and continue serving only food, and insisted that all establishments that sold alcoholic beverages without exception should close at the established curfew hours.

Marco, if your cop friend is right, and the new ordinances are only provisional, don't you think this will make the current administration look like incompetent fools?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Mirador said:
The Secretary of Interior and Police, Franklin Almeyda, stated this morning during a televised interview, at the prompting of a journalist, that it was absurd to believe that a restaurant or similar establishment would stop selling alcoholic beverages and continue serving only food, and insisted that all establishments that sold alcoholic beverages without exception should close at the established curfew hours.

Marco, if your cop friend is right, and the new ordinances are only provisional, don't you think this will make the current administration look like incompetent fools?
Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
heres an idea we market those portable coolers that wrap around your body and hold like 6 cans. Everyone gets one and right before midnight fill it up. Now you can walk around for a few hours with your stock of beer and its cold.Big deal the bars are closed. We can all sit outside the place and drink for several more hours!

another idea. open a restaurant or place where you charge entry and bring your own booze. you dont sell anything you just charge for use of your facilities.or maybe you only sell buckets of ice for booze storage.this may be the birth of the BYOB clubs in the DR!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
All bars and restaurants, discos were closed down at 12am last night. Francifol cafe had kerubanda group perform there last night and the show was promptly over by 12am and everyone was out. When we were driving home, we saw cops entering other bars and making sure they ware closed.
This is serious stuff guys.
AZB

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
AZB said:
All bars and restaurants, discos were closed down at 12am last night. Francifol cafe had kerubanda group perform there last night and the show was promptly over by 12am and everyone was out. When we were driving home, we saw cops entering other bars and making sure they ware closed.
This is serious stuff guys.
AZB

AZB, Are the cops and police out in force? and are they meeting much in the way of resistance?

Nic

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Notwithstanding, there is already a positive effect on crime. The police/military "mixed" patrols, kept busy closing businesses during curfew hours, manning roadblocks, has had the unintended effect of distracting the police from participating in their favorite "moonlighting" activities (extorsion, robberies, holdups, kidnappings, and others)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Rocky said:
Closing the bars earlier, would make it easier for the cops to spot late night criminals.

Rocky how about posting a couple of pics of what Pedro Clisante looks like after midnight?

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
distraction

Mirador said:
Notwithstanding, there is already a positive effect on crime. The police/military "mixed" patrols, kept busy closing businesses during curfew hours, manning roadblocks, has had the unintended effect of distracting the police from participating in their favorite "moonlighting" activities (extorsion, robberies, holdups, kidnappings, and others)

Interesting.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Cops and military personnels are out in full force. The cops are riding motocycles and often they ride in plain clothes. They walk into businesses with shot guns and order the place closed or the owner goes to jail. The streets are dead after midnight in santiago.
AZB

Jan 5, 2006
AZB said:
They walk into businesses with shot guns and order the place closed or the owner goes to jail.

Here's one example from today's Listin Diario:

"En la Vega, efectivos militares y policiales cerraron el negocio Marisco del Atl?ntico ubicado en la calle Antonio Guzm?n, antigua Restauraci?n en la Vega, apresaron a su propietario, a cinco mujeres que trabajaban en el lugar y a 15 parroquianos que inger?an bebidas alcoh?licas."

For non Spanish readers, the above basically states that military and police officers walked into a restaurant and arrested the owner, 5 employees and 15 patrons who were drinking alcoholic beverages. Ouch!

http://www.listin.com.do/cuerpos/republica/rep7.htm

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I had one question? what about Cabanas, do they sell alcohol in there?
Those raids would be very interesting to watch :)

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
M.A.R. said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I can imagine ....:bunny:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Hipocrito Mejia said:
Here's one example from today's Listin Diario:

"En la Vega, efectivos militares y policiales cerraron el negocio Marisco del Atl?ntico ubicado en la calle Antonio Guzm?n, antigua Restauraci?n en la Vega, apresaron a su propietario, a cinco mujeres que trabajaban en el lugar y a 15 parroquianos que inger?an bebidas alcoh?licas."

For non Spanish readers, the above basically states that military and police officers walked into a restaurant and arrested the owner, 5 employees and 15 patrons who were drinking alcoholic beverages. Ouch!

http://www.listin.com.do/cuerpos/republica/rep7.htm

"El jefe de la Direcci?n Cibao Central de la Polic?a, De la Cruz Consuegra
Indic? que los propietarios de establecimientos que no acaten el decreto presidencial, se les clausurar? los mismos y ellos ser?n apresados y sometidos a la Justicia junto a los parroquianos."

(liberal translation) The chief of Police, General De la Cruz Consuegra. stated that owner of business establishments that do not abide by the presidential decree, will have their business closed and they will be arrested along with their patrons.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
M.A.R. said:

lol im sure thats coming soon. after that theyll be kicking in public residences and telling people to go to sleep its after midnight!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I don't think zoned areas will work as there would be a ton of established businesses that fall outside the zone etc. My idea would be this:

require a license to sell after 12:00. This license would have strict requirements. Possibly including:

certain amount of seating capacity - thusly disqualifying the vast majority of colmados. Inside seating capacity and not seats in parking lots and streets as many colmadones have.

appropriate amount of security personel on staff for the capacity of the establishment.

Metal detecting equipment to insure no firearms

There would also need to be steep penalties for breaking any rules. I think police should then do random searches of bars from time to time, and if any firearms or drugs are found. . ..steep fines and possible closing of business.

Only allow businesses that are commited to not having drugs and guns, and the types of people who carry them in their establishments to remain open.

Lets face it, people are not having shootouts at franifol and trio cafe, or the jaragua and AIs but at colmados, colmadones and little dive joints in the barrios.

I don't see how having the Hard Rock close at midnight is going to have any negative impact on crime?

gamana said:
I think this ordinance is in fact needed and could lead to a positive result. Crime in DR is increasing dramatically and a serious problem to deal with. Those who worry about their late night drinks will have nowhere to go anyway when crime reaches critical levels, unless of course a Presidente is worth more than their own life.

In any case, i believe the Ordinance is good so long the government institute a night entertainment districts zoning. After midnight bars and clubs should be allowed to operate and sell liquor as long as the are located in "zoned" areas. Those locations will increase the purposed density and therefore its security. As in many, if not all places, security issues can mostly be controlled by vertical density versus horizontal. A designated area is always easier to control by the police, private security company and even indiduals.

Succesful business owners will migrate to those zoned areas while the outsiders will not be able to provide alcohol to already drunk criminals on a hunt for assaults, rapes or murders...

I have seen this work before. i don't know if it is part of the Governement's agenda though.

Just my opinion....

ciao