Omicron Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Yes, the number of cases in Canada is exploding and going exponential, almost at record levels, but number of deaths has remained low. The number of deaths always trails the number of cases though:

In Ontario 90% vaccinated seems to keep Hospitalizations down and symptoms low for now ..

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
In Ontario 90% vaccinated seems to keep Hospitalizations down and symptoms low for now ..
Like I said, the wave is just beginning. The number of deaths always trails the number of cases. Hopefully, the rumors about Omicron being less virulent are correct. We'll see in about 10 days.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Sorry, but The Gateway Pundit is a Far Right media with most of the things they write fact checked & wrong. I think we all need to see what kind of media is printing some of these articles.
It is a reprint of an article from Nature Medicine about the Oxford study. Go ahead malign them too.
You fact checkers aren't very good at checking.

Reactions: windeguy

DBL J

Sin bin
May 18, 2021
States
It is a reprint of an article from Nature Medicine about the Oxford study. Go ahead malign them too.
Uh no, it's not.......nice try. The gateway pundit article you posted is NOT a reprint of the Oxford study. I read it. The Gateway Pundit took one small snippet from the Oxford study and rolled with it to try and scare people. this is a great example of what i pointed out yesterday. You believe in this narrative that the vaccine is more dangerous than getting Covid, only time will tell. But then you post this absolute garbage to try and support this narrative. If you just would have posted the Oxford study and said "hey look at this, some interesting results" but the Gateway Pundit article didn't even talk about the results of the study, it completely undercuts what your trying to point out.

DBL J

Sin bin
May 18, 2021
States

DBL J

Sin bin
May 18, 2021
States
Results from Oxford study

Absolute measures of effect of vaccination and SARS-CoV-2 infection​

We estimated the number of exposures needed for one excess event and the excess number of events per 1 million exposed for each outcome (Fig. 2 and Supplementary Table 10). In the 1–28 days following the first dose of the ChAdOx1, BNT162b2 and mRNA-1273 vaccine, an extra two (95% CI 0, 3), one (95%CI 0, 2) and six (95% CI 2, 8) myocarditis events per 1 million exposed would be anticipated, respectively. In the 1–28 days following the second dose of mRNA-1273, an extra ten (95% CI 7, 11) myocarditis events per 1 million persons would be anticipated. This compares with an extra 40 (95% CI 38, 41) myocarditis events per 1 million in the 1–28 days following a SARS-CoV-2 positive test.

Subgroup analyses by age showed that the increased risk of events associated with the two mRNA vaccines was present only in those aged under 40 years. For this age group, we estimated 2 (95% CI 1, 3) and 8 (95%CI 4, 9) excess cases of myocarditis per 1 million people receiving a first dose of BNT162b2 and mRNA-1273, respectively, and 3 (95% CI 2, 4) and 15 (95%CI 12, 16) excess cases of myocarditis per 1 million people receiving a second dose of BNT162b2 and mRNA-1273, respectively. This compares with ten (95% CI 7, 11) extra cases of myocarditis following a SARS-CoV-2 positive test in those aged under 40 years.

DBL J

Sin bin
May 18, 2021
States
So, let's review, Oxford study shows an increased risk of myocarditis within the first 1-28 days of vaccination corresponding to extra events per 1 million people of either 2, 1, or 6 (depending on the vaccine), they than compare those 2,1, or 6 extra events to what we would expect if you got Covid 19, here is the kicker....... 40, 40 cases per million of myocarditis in those testing positive for Covid. So less cases within the vaccinated compared to those who got Covid. Interesting results, if you didn't read the study and only read the Gateway Pundit you might have thought something totally different.......... Embarrasing

Reactions: Goldenruler

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
A reader of The Gateway Pundit is hardly likely to follow the link to Nature Medicine in order to decipher the context of that little snippet.
Their most important takeaway would probably be in the headline....OXFORD STUDY SHOCKER
Or maybe the GP's summary:
So 1 in 100 of the vaccinated individuals are going to the hospital with irregular heart beat and this isn’t international headlines?
This is a shocking number.

I may not be a rocket scientist but, I do consider myself relatively intelligent and I can honestly say that the study details published by Nature Medicine were about as dry as the Sahara, above my pay grade, and nowhere near as shocking as the Gateway Pundit (aka Jim Hoft) would have you believe.
Their very own summary reads as follows:

In summary, this population-based study quantifies for the first time the risk of several rare cardiac adverse events associated with three COVID-19 vaccines as well as SARS-CoV-2 infection. Vaccination for SARS-CoV-2 in adults was associated with a small increase in the risk of myocarditis within a week of receiving the first dose of both adenovirus and mRNA vaccines, and after the second dose of both mRNA vaccines. By contrast, SARS-CoV-2 infection was associated with a substantial increase in the risk of hospitalization or death from myocarditis, pericarditis and cardiac arrhythmia.

Hoft makes it his business to convince his readers to believe what he wants them to believe.
He does it by employing attention grabbing headlines, innuendo, liberal use of colored fonts, capital letters and exclamation points!!! (see what I did there?)
He knows his readers care much less about facts, context and nuance than they do about getting their daily fix of irritation and outrage.
At the end of the day...

You are what you link.

Every time you link to a sketchy site your own personal credibility takes a hit.

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
ting

Zero chance - In the height of tourist season I don't think so scooter.
See anyone falling over in the streets, coughing up blood ?
If that happens sure we could see something, but hopefully the world is smart enough (outside of a few countries in Europe, the US & Canada) to see through the politicians search for crises to make them look magnanimous and frighten people into having savior worship (remember Cuomo).

Omicorn is not much more than a fart in church, annoying sure and maybe you have to cover your nose, but it will fade fast.

Quit groveling at the feat of fear and they will finally quit the scare tactics.

Go to the beach, have a rum drink, enjoy nochebuena, share Christmas with friends or strangers. Live and enjoy your retirement, vacation or time off for the holidays

When you surrender your freedom to the moronic political chimps of the world you become a lesser chimp.
But still a chimp.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
A reader of The Gateway Pundit is hardly likely to follow the link to Nature Medicine in order to decipher the context of that little snippet.
Their most important takeaway would probably be in the headline....OXFORD STUDY SHOCKER
Or maybe the GP's summary:
So 1 in 100 of the vaccinated individuals are going to the hospital with irregular heart beat and this isn’t international headlines?
This is a shocking number.

I may not be a rocket scientist but, I do consider myself relatively intelligent and I can honestly say that the study details published by Nature Medicine were about as dry as the Sahara, above my pay grade, and nowhere near as shocking as the Gateway Pundit (aka Jim Hoft) would have you believe.
Their very own summary reads as follows:

In summary, this population-based study quantifies for the first time the risk of several rare cardiac adverse events associated with three COVID-19 vaccines as well as SARS-CoV-2 infection. Vaccination for SARS-CoV-2 in adults was associated with a small increase in the risk of myocarditis within a week of receiving the first dose of both adenovirus and mRNA vaccines, and after the second dose of both mRNA vaccines. By contrast, SARS-CoV-2 infection was associated with a substantial increase in the risk of hospitalization or death from myocarditis, pericarditis and cardiac arrhythmia.

Hoft makes it his business to convince his readers to believe what he wants them to believe.
He does it by employing attention grabbing headlines, innuendo, liberal use of colored fonts, capital letters and exclamation points!!! (see what I did there?)
He knows his readers care much less about facts, context and nuance than they do about getting their daily fix of irritation and outrage.
At the end of the day...

You are what you link.

Every time you link to a sketchy site your own personal credibility takes a hit.
Well then it would be best you not read my links. Simplify your life.
I could just have easily linked the original article and you would still say it was biased

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Sorry, but The Gateway Pundit is a Far Right media with most of the things they write fact checked & wrong. I think we all need to see what kind of media is printing some of these articles.
You are incorrect. They are usually bang on with facts. Whom is the fact checker, think about who pays them.

Reactions: chico bill

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Well then it would be best you not read my links. Simplify your life.
I could just have easily linked the original article and you would still say it was biased

omg...shaking my head.
The whole point of mine (#89) was that your gateway pundit bore no relationship to the actual reported study by Nature Medicine.
Your gateway pundit (aka Jim Hoft) took a small little snippet of the Nature Medicine study out of context and used it to misinform his readers through the use of the standard conspiracy theorist tools as mentioned above. (attention grabbing headlines, innuendo and the liberal use of colored fonts, capital letters and exclamation points!!!)
A reader of Gateway Pundit would no more visit and read the reported study than a man would have a baby.
Jim Hoft knows his readers well and he knows what they are looking for when they come to his site. They are looking for red meat and he aims to deliver.
Do you even know who Jim Hoft is?
Do you know his background?
Remember...
You are what you link.

• Haha
Reactions: ben jammin

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Anti-Vax'ers remind me of watching a Movie

We are watching the young girl, dressed in a skin tight tie shirt and shorts, at night, about to walk into a scary looking building. . . alone.

We all know what is going to happen!

But.... somehow... she thinks she will be fine..... and there is no telling her any different.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Come on Bob.
Seriously?
Btw...
Whom?
Yea, seriously. I look at the information and the original source of the information, not the repeater of the information. I too have a well functioning brain and researching information was my actual job for a few years so I am quite good at separating the chaff from the wheat.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Every post wanders further away from the topic. Let's try to keep this one open.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I will be reporting personal experience later...

Presently, I am in a house where Omicron is -
My son-in-law brought it from his NYC office party- many cases reported from the party.
My daughter and wife got it subsequently..... and a 22mo old, can't speak for the 8 week old baby.

I arrived last Friday night....said hello & went to a hotel

Sat/Sun/Mon, I visited 3x a day - maskless and in the same room as they were..... ate dinner together each night
Moved in Tuesday

Nothing for me so far... they have all recovered.

Daughter & SIL were Pfizer vaxed.
My wife was Sinovac last April and Pfizer boosted in October - to me, she's a Pfizer.... Sinovac gone after those months

I am 3x Sinovac............ April & early November

Contrary to some on this board, I firmly believe the mRNA vax is useless against the variants.
I might be living proof of it !!

I am booked to return RD on Monday.

Hope I haven't jinxed myself !!
====================================
On topic JD???

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Anti-Vax'ers remind me of watching a Movie

We are watching the young girl, dressed in a skin tight tie shirt and shorts, at night, about to walk into a scary looking building. . . alone.

We all know what is going to happen!

But.... somehow... she thinks she will be fine..... and there is no telling her any different.
Keep on boosting, we all know what is going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.