Time To Move The Bars And Girls From Pedro Clisante

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A well thought out post with good info.

I am cognizant of the district boundaries.
I've heard you play, play solo better than nothing and possibly more control.

The cut in venues is also the result of government restrictions, which have resulted in less vibe in Sosua and of course covid.

The cut in venues happened because of a drop in tourists because of Punt Cana. That was when the dramatic drop happened in venues and in tourism on the north coast. I saw it happen both to playing gigs and in our apartment rentals.

Of course CV19 just made that even worse with all the focus on AI Toursim in Punta Cana once again taking the lead.
CAN and EU tourists are finally arriving in Sosua, but in lesser numbers.
In Cabarete I like the Ocean Dream and adjacent properties.
Camino Del Sol is a waste of time.
It really is a shame what happened to Camino del Sol.
In Sosua, I like Las Escalones, Infinity Blu and Hispaõla Beach beside Infinity.
Around La Puntilla are some places with nice views.

Nothing wrong with Cabarete, except traffic jams.
Great for Kite surfers.
Well, that deep subject was supposed to have a bypass operation that has failed to happen. Promises made and not kept.
I came to windsurf back in the day. Quite honestly the SF Bay had FAR better wind for that sport. It is great, however, for kite surfing.
La Boca De Yassica was typico/ rustic with the sea food shacks.
Development and habitat destruction and closures are not good.
It should alway be open to the public.
I agree that La Boca is a treasure that is sorely missed. There is a longer story there I won't get into that includes the Miracle Mile, a Tech Park there and more.. All the plans failed just like the Ritz Carlton Reserve failed and for the same reasons. Nobody had enough to pay off the environmental watchdogs. People did not do their do diligence.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Like you I have stayed there many times.

I don't mind the girls, but nothing is top drawer and I detest low class obnoxious gringos.
Also I've met many good Haitians, but I don't like to be overrun by them.
It's the DR not Cap Haitian.
With good manners and discretion all would be better served.
I'm just a short drive away, if the Sosua Abajo jam is not bad.

I live with my wife and child in a Dominican neighbourhood.

I actually would be happy in Las Escalones, Infinity Blu, Hispaõla Beach or some of the Cabarete Ocean Dream Properties.
I am too cheap to pay the USD maintenance fees.
Once I pass away it would be too much of a burden for my wife.

A house with downstairs rental and a rental apartment is a cost effective option.
Great views and breezes upstairs, huge terrace and back balcony.
Still go to Sosua beach fro a swim, snorkel and socialize with friends gringo and Dom.

I've opted for quiet family life.
I rented a beautiful renovated apartment in Charamicos three blocks from the beach for 4,500 peso a month for one year back in 2013 as a single guy.

Have a lot of friends up there both Dominican and foreign.

If they'd clean the place up, fix that leaky pipe (infrastructure) in front of 4 Roses and elimate some of the scum on PC, I'd seriously consider moving back tho I'd probably opt for El Batey or Los Castillos.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Are you saying the government proposed square on the beach is already under construction?
I'm hearing from people up there Team Luis is moving forward and isn't too concerned about what the locals think or want out of the "arrangement".

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm hearing from people up there Team Luis is moving forward and isn't too concerned about what the locals think or want out of the "arrangement".
I have no doubt that's the case. I'm just wondering if that square is already under construction as Lobo indicated(?).

OldSkool

Banned
Aug 31, 2021
Barahona
If you are looking for somewhat educated and attractive women, you'll have to look in other locals and it helps to speak Spanish.
Generally the North Coast has great scenery and places, but much of it is bottom of the barrel.
One will encounter few educated people, with world experience.
I have a wonderful wifee from a good family and any looking I might be doing is simply appreciating the beautiful flora and fauna, all of which has been lacking in Sosua some 15 years. I see some wonderful people all over the island, mostly excepting touristy places, although many people are much heavier and out of shape than say a5 or 20 years ago. I totally blame that on lifestyle, America fast food and a move from more traditional dishes. Also not enough people exercise.

Reactions: Lobo Tropical

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I'm not into hookers at all, but you nailed it with the highlighted statement. If I or others wanted the USA we could go to Miami or other places in Florida. We do not.
And I have spent a large part of my life travelling in the US, met great welcoming people.
I love the West Coat, the South West, the incredible National parks, California and San Diego area.
Also spent a few Winters in Florida, Anna Maria Island, Sarasota and A little Miami.
Love the ease of travel on the Highway systems with services everywhere.
If I would stay in beach areas it would be S.Cal.
Canada is great, second largest country, fantastic nature, peaceful, but to me somewhat boring asides from the great outdoors and sports.
Logistically tied to there.

Love Thailand, but too far for now.
Europe is home and fantastic, food, drink, historic architecture and great Nature.
Spent a huge amount of time in Mexico.

Now it's the DR, a learning curve but I do like some of the simplicity, people easy to talk to, fantastic Nature with about 1600 km of coastline.
Some things are cheaper here if one knows how to move in the community.
Of course work performed is seldom up to our standards.
I have seen improvements in the DR.
Would be great to have reliable electricity without generator, potable water supply to every house and regular garbage removal.
And yes, people have to learn they have to pay fro services.
Free stolen electricity and free water are not an entitlement.

As for the girls in Sosua there are plenty walking the beach.
I have no need for the nightlife or the end of Pedro by the Ahnvee, not my world.
Even though I have enjoyed a beer or two at Passions in the past. :)

Reactions: CristoRey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have a wonderful wifee from a good family and any looking I might be doing is simply appreciating the beautiful flora and fauna, all of which has been lacking in Sosua some 15 years. I see some wonderful people all over the island, mostly excepting touristy places, although many people are much heavier and out of shape than say a5 or 20 years ago. I totally blame that on lifestyle, America fast food and a move from more traditional dishes. Also not enough people exercise.
Well, there are plenty of gyms and spinning classes. I know that a good percentage of the young mothers whose children go to our school exercise on a daily basis. I see many in the gym I go to, but yes I agree with you that there are many more fat Dominicans than 15 years ago. More cars and motos, less walking.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
No ,not really. When was the last time you went there and was it open or not? So far, all you've done is claim your points aren't good there and then mentioned that when at the SD Marriot property(when was that?) that you couldn't book a room at the one in Sosua.
It's open, it ain't a Marriott property, yet

Reactions: cavok

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Two months later I come across this topic and just have to add my two cents worth. I completely agree with you Ken. We are in Sosua Ocean Village and stay away from Playa Sosua on weekends to give the busloads of residents from the city their space. We do go there sometimes through the week as it's a gorgeous beach, but we avoid the town, especially at night like the plague (with the exception of Casa 21) as the vibe isn't our thing. You are RIGHT, if it was cleaned up it would attract a lot more money, big money, not free wings and beer kind of money. Beachfront/oceanfront properties in Sosua are the cheapest in the Caribbean and the only reason why is because of the sex trade running rampant all over the city. So yes, when it's cleaned up and the luxury hotels, tourists and property owners flock in, the money will flow and that will benefit the entire city. Sosua can be a Comfort Inn or a Hilton and more money is spent at a Hilton. Sosua has everything needed to become a world class destination but it's currently a dirty little secret and that's too bad because it's the uneducated Dominicans and Haitians that pay the price. I have no problem with a red light district, but with more opportunities for employment, the girls will have options which they sadly do not have the way things have been.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
With all the rice, beans, platanos, papas fritas, yuca, pizza, and all the other high carbohydrate/sugar foods/drinks that Dominicans eat, you're going to blame it on American fast food that most can't even afford except occasionally at best? :ROFLMAO:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It's open, it ain't a Marriott property, yet
I think we're getting into semantics here(?). Marriott, Hilton, and others own many other hotel chains that are operated under a different name, but they would still be considered Marriott or Hilton "properties", at least from a corporate standpoint.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I rented a beautiful renovated apartment in Charamicos three blocks from the beach for 4,500 peso a month for one year back in 2013 as a single guy.

Have a lot of friends up there both Dominican and foreign.

If they'd clean the place up, fix that leaky pipe (infrastructure) in front of 4 Roses and elimate some of the scum on PC, I'd seriously consider moving back tho I'd probably opt for El Batey or Los Castillos.
I would opt for La Union. My favorite town.

• Wow

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Two months later I come across this topic and just have to add my two cents worth. I completely agree with you Ken. We are in Sosua Ocean Village and stay away from Playa Sosua on weekends to give the busloads of residents from the city their space. We do go there sometimes through the week as it's a gorgeous beach, but we avoid the town, especially at night like the plague (with the exception of Casa 21) as the vibe isn't our thing. You are RIGHT, if it was cleaned up it would attract a lot more money, big money, not free wings and beer kind of money. Beachfront/oceanfront properties in Sosua are the cheapest in the Caribbean and the only reason why is because of the sex trade running rampant all over the city. So yes, when it's cleaned up and the luxury hotels, tourists and property owners flock in, the money will flow and that will benefit the entire city. Sosua can be a Comfort Inn or a Hilton and more money is spent at a Hilton. Sosua has everything needed to become a world class destination but it's currently a dirty little secret and that's too bad because it's the uneducated Dominicans and Haitians that pay the price. I have no problem with a red light district, but with more opportunities for employment, the girls will have options which they sadly do not have the way things have been.

In Sosua Casa Marina is good enough for me.
Playa Dorada has also good options like the Gran Ventana and even in Maimon the Bachata the former RIU hotels.

It's not that I don't like US chains.
In SDQ the JW Marriott is nice.
I prefer the Sheraton on the Malecon the Renaissance Jaragua is OK.
Ocean views and close to Zona Colonial.
S.D. for me is for business when absolutely necessary.

The North Coast is home.
One time after driving to Las Terrenas I was more than happy to arrive here.

Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
In Sosua Casa Marina is good enough for me.
Playa Dorada has also good options like the Gran Ventana and even in Maimon the Bachata the former RIU hotels.

It's not that I don't like US chains.
In SDQ the JW Marriott is nice.
I prefer the Sheraton on the Malecon the Renaissance Jaragua is OK.
Ocean views and close to Zona Colonial.
S.D. for me is for business when absolutely necessary.

The North Coast is home.
One time after driving to Las Terrenas I was more than happy to arrive here.
Casa Marina was pretty busy during the time I was in Sosua, I drove by many times every day as it is located on my way out of town when heading West.

JJ

OldSkool

Banned
Aug 31, 2021
Barahona
With all the rice, beans, platanos, papas fritas, yuca, pizza, and all the other high carbohydrate/sugar foods/drinks that Dominicans eat, you're going to blame it on American fast food that most can't even afford except occasionally at best? :ROFLMAO:
Then what else has changed to make people more unhealthy in the last 15 years. They eat the same way, more or less, at home as always but go out more, and when they do they go out eat eat fast-food much more often.

Do you have a better explanation?

OldSkool

Banned
Aug 31, 2021
Barahona
Then what else has changed to make people more unhealthy in the last 15 years. They eat the same way, more or less, at home as always but go out more, and when they do they go out eat eat fast-food much more often.

They also drive, take a publico. taxi, motos, etc. a lot more and walk less

Reactions: drstock

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I think we're getting into semantics here(?). Marriott, Hilton, and others own many other hotel chains that are operated under a different name, but they would still be considered Marriott or Hilton "properties", at least from a corporate standpoint.
Nope !! They have been trying to make it a Marriott, it just hasn't happened.

Reactions: anny95

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Do you mean Marriott, or The Ocean Club? It is on the Marriott website(?).
Both, "coming soon" has been the banner for some time. When that is ,who knows. As of now it's a " coming soon" property. What ever that means. As you know there are several real Marriott properties on the island. I frequent them. That and Hodelpa.Top notch.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Dominicans seem to have more disposable income now. Maybe they're just eating more. Dominicans love to eat!

Take a look at some of the spandex queens on PC and there aren't any American fast food restaurants here. How do you explain that?