Your Favorite Fruit in The D.R.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My inlaws had a tamarindo tree in their yard in Santo Domingo. My kids would climb that tree and pick them all, and sit in the yard peeling them and stuffing their faces. My daughter still talks about it 😊
One of the good things about Tamarindos is when you buy the pressed ones it lasts forever in your fridge.

Reactions: chico bill

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Do you roast the stones to eat the kernel? I am impressed that you spoke so highly of Durian....most have never heard of it bar those that have been to SE Asia. I certainly can handle the smell but if I had a choice, it would be a mango, first! : )
Thank you! My first choice always is Durian. I eat kernels raw. They are rather soft. And not bitter.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I love almost all of them. I wish Pitaya was in season longer. I don't like but do eat some Granabana not because I like it but just because of how healthy it is. I prefer to dry out the leaves and make tea with a bit of honey added.

Reactions: Russell

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
All fruit is delicious here, one of the perks of living here.
Off topic so you can ignore it LOL Curious though, many supermarkets are selling fresh turmeric/curcumin how is it used in dominican dishes?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
1614397379425.png

Bluenoser

Feb 26, 2019
I have banana and pineapple most every day but my favorite is mango which are just coming into season now.
A green grocer at home tells the story of one of his customers asking him what is the best way to eat a mango?
He told her "Naked....in the bathtub..."

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
A really "good" mango will have a balanced flavor, not too sweet and not too tart....one does not come across such varieties all the time.
Indeed, mangoes do provoke allergic reactions to some, especially the resin on the peel.
We have three mangoe trees on our lot small medieum and very large. When not ripe there is a liquid oozing from the peel. Can burn into your skin if you are the least bit sensitive.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I am on a quest for a fruit i so enjoyed while in Barbados " Breadfruit" ..
Anyone ever seen such here in RD?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017