USA issued ATM highst DR Limits

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Overpay my credit card in Canada before my trip, then go to a teller at Santa Cruz and withdraw(100,000 peso limit I think) from the credit card.

I also travel with 2 different debit cards just in case.
It seems to me that a month doesn't go by when one of my friends finds himself in a jam because their card gets compromised and it is the only card that they have. I wouldn't travel across the street let alone travel to or live in a third world country without having several cards and/or multiple avenues to obtain cash,just silly.

Reactions: cavok and slowmo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You are right about the first part but I withdraw from a teller.
That's interesting. I've tried to do that with Citi, Chase, Discover, and AMEX and none of them will let me do that. Which bank are you doing this?

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
That's interesting. I've tried to do that with Citi, Chase, Discover, and AMEX and none of them will let me do that. Which bank are you doing this?
I use a Canadian TD Bank Visa card at Santa Cruz bank in the DR.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Not a targeted investment, rather personal hustle tied to accommodating situations - there are many windows of opportunities in this country
With the UDS having depreciated against the DOP for the last two years, 10% on sovereign Dominicans bonds would have been a pretty good investment, too.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Overpay my credit card in Canada before my trip, then go to a teller at Santa Cruz and withdraw(100,000 peso limit I think) from the credit card.

You must have a very good card. Many cards will charge a foreign exchange fee, give you a lousy exchange rate, and charge you 28% on cash withdrawals. I know there are exceptions like a Schwab card, but it's not very economical for most people.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I use a Canadian TD Bank Visa card at Santa Cruz bank in the DR.
I wonder if that is something that is not allowed with US banks? The last time I had a positive balance on a CC, it was from a seller refund.
I used most of it on buying something else, and they sent me a transfer for the 4 dollars that remained after the purchase. They didn't want that positive balance on the card.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have tried to "overpay" one of my credit cards and it was not allowed by Chase. It will not even give you an option to do that. As JD, the only time I had a positive balance was from a refund given after the card balance was paid.

Reactions: cavok

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I have tried to "overpay" one of my credit cards and it was not allowed by Chase. It will not even give you an option to do that. As JD, the only time I had a positive balance was from a refund given after the card balance was paid.
A credit card cannot act as a debit card. The only thing you can do is get a limit increase in the credit line. You can't "load" a cc. I think there was a BoA card I once had that had the two features tied to one card, but I can't remember it was years ago. Even then, one code moves the transaction through the cash account like checking and the other through a credit account.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Maybe Slowmo was able to do it because it was a Canadian Bank Visa card??? I only tried to overpay because I was leaving the USA and was going to be putting a charge on later that day. I just figured I could "prepay" and not worry about the bill later. Obviously, that is not an option... BoA check debit card is "like" a credit card, you have the option of using it as a debit card or credit card. It is tied to your checking account so the monetary limit would be your checking account balance.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE

Are there any fees coming from either Santa Cruz or you CC by using this method?

Also, the exchange rate may just play a key role to make this worthwhile I believe...but I like the strategy

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Maybe Slowmo was able to do it because it was a Canadian Bank Visa card??? I only tried to overpay because I was leaving the USA and was going to be putting a charge on later that day. I just figured I could "prepay" and not worry about the bill later. Obviously, that is not an option... BoA check debit card is "like" a credit card, you have the option of using it as a debit card or credit card. It is tied to your checking account so the monetary limit would be your checking account balance.

I have overpaid and still do it at my conveniences with BoA and Citi cards CCs - still possible for the naysayers

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
I wonder if that is something that is not allowed with US banks? The last time I had a positive balance on a CC, it was from a seller refund.
I used most of it on buying something else, and they sent me a transfer for the 4 dollars that remained after the purchase. They didn't want that positive balance on the card.

Still possible

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Geez guys, I only average about 2 posts/week because I limit myself to things that I am certain about. Still get lots of pushback.

Heading to the DR tomorrow after 6 months away, so will repost about this in a couple of weeks after trying this system again. Not very wise for credit card companies to refuse an overpayment, as there doesn't seem like any downside for them to hold onto free money for a while.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
With the UDS having depreciated against the DOP for the last two years, 10% on sovereign Dominicans bonds would have been a pretty good investment, too.

I do not tied my money any longer to investments vehicles, in fact; have already taken them out and use the cash flow to do some hustle business in the DR with bigger returns and excellent ROI

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
It seems to me that a month doesn't go by when one of my friends finds himself in a jam because their card gets compromised and it is the only card that they have. I wouldn't travel across the street let alone travel to or live in a third world country without having several cards and/or multiple avenues to obtain cash,just silly.

Hence why I started this thread, to seek other avenues to get money on hand with lesser inconveniences, less fees and bigger amounts

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Are there any fees coming from either Santa Cruz or you CC by using this method?
I am sure everybody gets their cut but it's worth it to avoid the ATM cloning drama. If memory serves correct, Windy has a few card cloning stories.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I am sure everybody gets their cut but it's worth it to avoid the ATM cloning drama. If memory serves correct, Windy has a few card cloning stories.
I think the moral of the story is to not let the card, debit or credit, out of your sight. If they can't do it in front of you, you don't want/need what they're selling. I learned this the hard way, but it ended up not costing me anything.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE

He/she gets serviced by a teller when he does it, he/she has already made that clear above.

Someone gets rolled over by a vehicle everyday - should we not step out of our premises because it might just happen to any of us?

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
I think the moral of the story is to not let the card, debit or credit, out of your sight. If they can't do it in front of you, you don't want/need what they're selling. I learned this the hard way, but it ended up not costing me anything.

Even if it does, it takes a phone call to report it as lost or stolen and report any transactions that aren't yours - that's all, problem solved